Thursday, July 2, 2009

food for thought



With the continued frustration of not having a proper kitchen at home still (due to long suffering renovations!), I have just realised my bedside stack of reading material is littered with food mags, articles and books....The husband is going to be one well fed man once that kitchen is fitted! Anyhow, not on the light side of the reading are these two thought provoking books. Really interesting (if not shocking) reads that I've been dipping in and out of lately. They certainly give you a conscience about the impact the food industry and your own shopping and eating habits are having on the world....Not very light bedtime reading but very interesting.

1 comment:

Ciara Brehony said...

Hey Sharon! How did I miss this blog before!

I totally relate to your kitchen frustration. As I write this I am locked in the (dust covered, in spite of our best efforts) sitting room listening to power tools. I'll be glad when it's over!

Thanks for the book recommendations. I have a dog-eared Good Enough To Eat by Maureen Tatlow which I love, but it's a bit dated now. The thing I love most about it is that it's Irish, and so her list of suppliers etc is Irish. But at the end of the day the information is pretty much the same wherever you are in this part of the world.

And yes, heavy reading at times, and sometimes I'd rather not know, but... I guess I feel my responsibility!

Must check these out! Thanks!